Every once in a while I stumble on to something good. Exhibit A)
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole adapted from here
1lb (16 oz) pkg pasta such as Penne or Bowtie.
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
1 half bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
2 (10.75 oz) cans cream of “something” soup (Chicken, Mushroom, Celery….)
1 (10.75oz) can milk
8 oz Mushrooms, sautéed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dried bread crumbs
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 375˚F. Lightly grease a 9×13 in baking dish.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, cook until al dente. Reserve a mug of the pasta water for the sauce. Set aside.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms until they begin to soften. Add ground beef, and cook, stirring until evenly browned. Drain off grease then add in with the pasta. Stir in the condensed soup, then measure the milk using the soup can. Add thyme until blended. Mix in 3 cups of the cheese, and season with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the pasta water to thin. Spread in Baking dish.
4. In a bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and melted butter. Mix in the remaining 1 cup cheese. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the top of the baking dish.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
6. Dish up and enjoy!